Perianne Jones, our local Cross Country Olympian, and some of her fellow teammates are travelling to Nicaragua, Central America to build a school with SchoolBOX. The members of Canada’s National Cross Country Ski Team are departing for Nicaragua shortly after returning from the Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Perianne and her team will be working to build a school for an impoverished community in South West Nicaragua. Their support will have a big impact in a country where over 50% of children do not finish primary school.
Perianne and her team are working hard to raise the funds to help ‘Make Education Possible’ for the children in Nicaragua. In addition to their own fundraising efforts, they are reaching out to cross country ski clubs to help raise enough funds to build a sports area for the school. The total cost of the new sports area is $10,000 US. We would love to invite your club to join with Perianne to make this wonderful sports area possible.
About the Project
The new sports area will include a 92 ft X 46 ft concrete field that the students can use for soccer and all kinds of games and sports. During the rainy season in Nicaragua, a concrete sports area is one of the only places that kids can actually play since the land is literally drenched for months and months. The sports area helps to make school fun and encourages students to stay in school.
Your skiing community can help ‘Make Education Possible’ for an entire community in Nicaragua. We invite you to work together with Perianne and her teammates to support sport and basic education for children. Working together we can create a sports area for the new school!
To find out more about Perianne and her incredible partnership with SchoolBOX visit her blog at periannejones.blogspot.ca
- Construction of essential infrastructure – including classrooms, sports areas, bathrooms, and libraries.
- Distribution of educational packages (pencils, eraser, pencil sharpener, ruler, notebooks) to the neediest of children
- Organisation of soccer tournaments to promote education
- Distribution of textbooks and reading books to schools via their library program
- Providing individuals from around the world the opportunity to volunteer on a SchoolBOX project to empower students, parents, teachers and communities within Central America
- 49 classrooms built
- 2 classrooms with major renovations and overhauls
- 63,249 education packages delivered to students and teachers
- 349 International Volunteers
- 15 Mini Libraries created
- 13 Soccer Dreams Tournaments
Below are some fun ideas to take and run (or ski!) with to raise money and awareness for SchoolBOX:
- Host a Ski 4 SchoolBOX Olympic Fundraiser Party to watch and cheer on Perianne as she competes in Sochi!
- 20km fun Ski 4 SchoolBOX event: Registration fees for the event can be donated, and pledge forms can be used by skiers to raise funds for the Ski 4 SchoolBOX campaign.
- Information night / motivational presentation to view the SchoolBOX documentary (about 20 minutes long). A SchoolBOX volunteer or staff member could attend and Perianne would send a video message.
- Optional donation when Skiers register for the season with your Ski Club and keep donation tin in Clubhouse to collect donations.
- Equator Coffee Roasters from Almonte can provide coffee / hot chocolate to raise funds for Ski 4 SchoolBOX at your event.
- Fundraise to send some of your local skiers to Nicaragua with Perianne Jones in April 2014 (spots are limited so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible).
The Top 3 Fundraising Clubs will each receive an autographed World Cup race bib from Perianne Jones!
Registered teams and clubs will receive Ski 4 SchoolBOX campaign promo and benefits:
- Club features in SchoolBOX Social media
- Incorporate your Club into media releases for the Ski 4 SchoolBOX campaign
- Photos of SchoolBOX’s work in Nicaragua and Perianne’s cross country skiing career for your
- Club’s promotional material & social media
- Photos of the sports area once it is completed
The Top 3 Fundraising Clubs will each receive:
- Autographed World Cup race bib from Perianne Jones
To Register your event:
Contact Tara Deitner – email@example.com
If you wish to make a donation via cheque, please make the cheque payable to: SchoolBOX Inc and mail to:
PO BOX 201
Almonte, ON K0A 1A0
January 2014– Ski 4 SchoolBOX in the News
Cross Country Canada covers Perianne Jones and Ski 4 SchoolBOX. Check out the article here
October 2013– Ski 4 SchoolBOX in the News
Check out this article from the the Rocky Mountain Outlook about Perianne Jones and the Ski 4 SchoolBOX campaign. Click here to access the article.
September 2013– Ski 4 SchoolBOX with Olympian Perianne Jones
This winter SchoolBOX is thrilled to become a part of an incredible international journey with Perianne Jones. Perianne Jones, Canadian Olympian of the Vancouver 2010 games and for the Sochi 2014 games, will be an ambassador for SchoolBOX at the Sochi 2014 games and then she will go on to be a SchoolBOX volunteer in Nicaragua following the games. Perianne kicked off her journey with SchoolBOX at the Equator Block Party on September 14th meeting fans in Almonte, ON.
Inspired by Perianne, we are encouraging ski clubs across the country to organize events in support of the ‘Ski 4 SchoolBOX’ Campaign. Please contact Tara at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register an event.
Perianne will be competing in February at the 2014 Olympics Games in Sochi, Russia for Team Canada.