SchoolBOX Board of Directors
Nominations Committee 2023
BoD Job Description
Before any individual may be considered for board membership with SchoolBOX, they must have demonstrated values consistent with SchoolBOX, have a willingness to lead or participate in fundraising activities, and they must be willing to explore issues of reconciliation and one’s own relationship with and role in colonization and decolonization.
Our Mission: Making Education Possible
Our Vision: That all kids live their potential through quality, culturally empowered education
Our Values: LEGACY of education: Love of children, Education as the key to defeat poverty, Global & diverse community, Accountability and transparency of our financials and results, Courage to keep going in the face of adversity and take measured risks to reach the kids who need support, with sustainably implemented models of development resulting in program resiliencY over time.
We hope you will join us in leaving a LEGACY of education for generations of kids.
Job description of a SchoolBOX Board of Director:
- To support the mission of “making education possible” – have working knowledge of, and ongoing updates to SchoolBOX’s mission, vision and values, Articles of Incorporation, Letters Patent and strategic plans and ensure that programming and operations are within this scope.
- To lead the governance of the organization – by ensuring legal and fiduciary responsibilities are adhered to as defined by the attorney general of Ontario and have some working knowledge of charity law and the Corporations Act. See here for more details: https://www.attorneygeneral.
- Hiring & Supporting an Executive Director – evaluating and supporting their work through a minimum of 3 board meetings and an AGM each year. Provide an annual evaluation of results compared to goals set as well as review of executive compensation. Offer ongoing encouragement & support ideas.
- Duty to act Gratuitously – Directors are offering their time, skills and abilities on a volunteer basis to further SchoolBOX’s mission.
- Financial Oversight – Review quarterly reports and annual financial statements with time and care to ensure responsible management of the charity’s funds and assets. The day-to-day management is completed by employees but oversight, investing decisions, budgets & accounts approvals and appointments of auditors are all done by the Board.
- Fundraising – As a small grassroots charity, we cannot rely on our small staff alone to raise the annual operating budget. Every board member takes on an annual fundraising goal.
If you are interested please email Stephanie at email@example.com
We hope to hear from you!